Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Welcome!

I am thrilled you are reading, don't stop. This is the inaugural posting to my website. Yes, my hands are a little shaky. It's like prom night without the dress or the flowers. I have been looking forward to the launching of this beautiful site for quite a while (thanks, Maddee, you are the BEST).

I never estimated how many decisions there would be in putting a site in place. AND, that's with a pro doing all the heavy lifting. I only had to point and say “okay.” When we renovated our house (100 year old stone and shingle complicated mess), my architect husband warned me there would be 1000 decisions for every room in the house. Ha! I thought. Not for me. I'm going to zoom right through this baby and really, how hard is this? The house is already there. We're only gutting it and completely redoing absolutely everything. We have a contractor and I'm the point person. REALLY. Piece of cake.

How naïve can one woman be? We were 18 months in a rental, I think there were more like 1500 decisions per room. We shoveled snow out of the second floor when the roof wasn't put on and there was a late winter storm in March, the furnace froze, they couldn't thread pipes through bedrock, there were unknown buried tanks in the front yard, there was…well, you get the idea.

Again, silly me. A website? This can't be too difficult. Well, I have heard that anything done well needs someone who truly knows what she is doing. Maddee James forced me to make decisions when I had no idea where to go. It was all about what I wanted, not what she decided I needed. She teased it out of me. I'll work with her any time. There was kind and gentle guidance from someone who is a true pro. I shudder to think what this would look like and work like if I had taken this on alone.

I know, many of you are shaking your heads. You have set up wonderful sites. You have figured out the codes using many of the do-it-yourself services that are out there. I applaud you. You are clearly far better at all of this than I.

So what are the decisions you had to make? How did you figure out your image? How did you put all the pieces together? I'd love to hear, for I have many writer friends who are working this through.

As for this blog, there are so many topics we can discuss. Coming in future postings will be topics such as:

  • How do we use social networking and how do we know what it gets us
  • What PR and marketing tools have you found to be the best, or the worst
  • Discussions on how you write. I have discovered one that works the best for me, but you'll have to come back to find out
  • Family, travel, jobs, self—how do we keep it together
  • What are the tools we use for writing? Software, good ole Word, sharpened pencils?
  • So much more
Join me each week as we explore these subjects. This is only the tip of iceberg. There is no end to the conversations we can have.

Thanks for stopping by. Leave your comments and I'll be back as fast as I can. A presto, Cassy

31 comments:

  1. Marvelous work, Cassy, I am Soooooo jealous! The backgrounds and colors and design are all just divine. -- Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan! Thanks so much for first stopping by and second leaving a comment. This is such fun. I do appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassy I love the website and I guess yout's is another blog for me to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cassie! Great website - congrats! It looks fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the launch of such a beautiful website & blog! (Mine's coming December 1st!) I look forward to traveling with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassy, what a lovely blog and website. I think you're going to have lots of fun with it. Congrats!

    Donna Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassy, congrats on the premier of your website. I love the pictures of Italy - which happens to be one of my favorite places that I have lived. I look forward to checking it frequently and getting to revisit such a wonderful place. Thanks also, for the knowledge that you will be sharing with us. ~ Gail Chianese

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everybody!! Thanks SO much for stopping by. I really appreciate your being here. Maddee and I spent a fair amount of time working through the details of the site. I hope you are enjoying it and will come by often.

    What fun! Best, Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful website, Cassy. Kudos to you and Maddie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the Blogisphere, Cassy! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cassy,

    Congratulations on your website, which really looks great. As you described quite accurately, it's a lot more work than people realize to create a website and blog and then have the whole thing mesh together as well as yours does. You and Maddee did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cassy, your site is beautiful. I want to walk into the pictures and escape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulazioni da Firenze, Cassy. Una meraviglia! Count me in. Absolutely stunning and I look forward to reading and seeing more. The photos, your writing, all of it, is just terrific. Bravissima!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeff: Thanks so much for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. Folks, check out this guy's great site- www.thewritelawyer.com He has lots of really important information there.

    I'm glad you found the site integrated. I tip my hat to Maddee for that. I hope to "see" you here again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Liz: You are one of my heros. Thanks for posting a comment and for your good words. I really look forward to seeing you at CrimeBake, on Mysteries and Margaritas, and hopefully right here. Cas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Toni!! My dear president of CTRWA and "always ready to offer help" go-to person. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tiffinie: Fellow Book Cents Babe. Thanks for checking this out. Aren't the pictures wonderful? Welcome to the Italy I adore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cara Marina: Mille grazie per tutti. Ti voglio bene. A presto, Cas

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful site, Cassy. Personally, I cannot get enough of Italy (in spite of my distaste for that scamp, Scarlatti, and my conflicts with Salieri), so I look forward to reading your posts.

    At some point in the future, perhaps when our novel gets published, Mme. Moreno and I will want to consult with your designer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous website and blog, Cassy! The photos of Venice and Florence are Ravishing. Maddee is an extraordinarily talented designer. I've long been a fan her work and hope one day to have the privilege to be her client.

    ReplyDelete
  21. VR! How great to have you stop by. I agree about the kudos for Maddee. She not only has great talent, but is also a dream to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Mozart: I am honored that you had and took the time to stroll the avenues of this meager website. I would love to talk with Madam Moreno about Maddee, should that ever be of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's lovely Cassy--congrats! Maddee designed our Jungle Red Writers blog too, she's simply brilliant. Hope we hear good book news soon and see you at Crimebake!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just want to share with Cassy's friends and corespondents that in addition to all her other accomplishment, she is the most devoted, caring and loving daughter that any parent could wish. Jerry Pollack

    ReplyDelete
  25. Roberta! How great to have you stop by. I will definitely see you at CrimeBake. And, I totally agree about Maddee. She is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How good does this get?? Jerry Pollack posted that he thinks I am a devoted daughter. He does have a tendency for hyperbole, but that aside, "Thanks, Dad. No one is better than you."

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful website, Cassy! Congrats. I love reading M&M and know I will feel the same about your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Marilyn: Thanks so much! It's great to have you both with us on M&M and here. I really look forward to "seeing" you back soon. Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the website! So far, very very good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cassy, I've been out of the loop for a while, so I'm just now checking up on your site. It looks great! I'm really looking forward to your book. As you know, we share a love of Italy, and what you're writing is very different from what I'm doing. Hope it sells soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Patricia: Great to hear from you! The next time in Rome, we'll find time for a glass of wine. You have lots you can teach about the food haunts of the Eternal City!

    ReplyDelete